Re: Re: Re: The Best Sousaphone is......?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by js on May 30, 2003 at 19:10:21:

In Reply to: Re: Re: The Best Sousaphone is......? posted by Rob P-M on May 30, 2003 at 16:05:06:

I just sold three silver sousaphones to one high school...all different:

- satin silver "semi-baby" King BBb "Gladiator (slightly diminuitive body...3/4?) - regular King .687" bore in the valveset
- Selmer bright silver sousaphone (formerly brass-lacquered)...similar in design to the old Conn 14K - .730" (I think) bore
- satin silver Conn 14K sousaphone - .734" bore

We were able to make all three look very nice, since the silver was at least 98% intact on all three. The Selmer was able to be totally de-dented with an "Eraser". The Gladiator was totally de-dented by only "halving" the instrument (not completely unsoldering it), and the 14K required "the works" (completely unsoldered to remove dents, and actually the Conn got a valve rebuild as well). I sold all three to the high school for only about $4500 - with two of the instruments having decent cases included. (They had a spare case.)

The Selmer and Conn are almost identical in shape and size, and the Gladiator is absolutely perfect for a small young lady in the band.

Again, no dents, silver intact, tight valves, shiny, three for $4500. How much is one new Taiwan silver unit at a competitive bid price?

Follow Ups: