Re: Beginning the Tuba in adulthood

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John on November 05, 1999 at 20:35:07:

In Reply to: Beginning the Tuba in adulthood posted by Michael on November 05, 1999 at 16:10:26:

Like a few others, I too started " later in life".....I played the clarinet in high school...my mother loved Benny Goodman, and I was no Benny Goodman...when I graduated high school in 1966 I never played that " musical" instrument again....however when I met my wife in 1991 and found out she was a trumpet player...I encouraged her to join the local community band and before you know it..at age 43, I started playing the euphonium so I could join her.....we played on street corners at Christmas with the Salvation Army bell ringers, community bands and churches.....I practiced every day giving up mindless television watching and took lessons from the local high school euphonium all-state, star....but it was the tuba I really wanted to play and switched to the Eb tuba...a 5 valve Willson....me and my wife started a 20 piece brass band...the Carter Mountain Brass Band and we have played all over New Hampshire...and I recently have been asked to join the local symphony....at age 50....it's not the Boston Symphony..it's the Lakes Region Symphony....but who cares.....I'm thankful for the opportunity to play and I'll play like every day gearing up for it......I only wish I was 20 again and.....boy would I go for it and never look back.....Good luck!

Follow Ups: