Re: Beginning the Tuba in adulthood

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt Walters on November 05, 1999 at 20:46:06:

In Reply to: Beginning the Tuba in adulthood posted by Michael on November 05, 1999 at 16:10:26:

You can do it! 5 years ago, a new very good friend walked into the store and my life. In fact, he came by this morning to pick up his tuba after I repaired and modified his horn. My friend Harry is also clumsy. Anyway, at age 47 he says, "I have always wanted to play the tuba and I'm not getting any younger." Well, I made an exception and taught him some lessons. It was a learning experience for both of us. Warning: you have the mind of an adult but your body has to learn a new skill like a kid. Be patient and willing to be frustrated. 1 year later, he joined a community band near him that was desperate for a tubist. He would show up 30 minutes early and the conductor would help him with counting the music. He also had kids in middle school at the time and was allowed to sit in on band rehersals (kept his mouth shut and stayed in the back ground). You will have to learn the skill of following a conductor and that isn't done by private lessons.
We laugh about the day I proclaimed him to have reached he level of a 'lousy' high school tubist. You see, he no longer sounded like just a beginner, he sounded like he had been playing for years and just wasn't good yet! That was over three years ago. So he joined a 2nd community band that plays harder music with a new selection every month or two. I just happen to be sort of the section leader. He fits right in and in fact, I often ask him to play some of the cued parts while the rest of us sit out. That is one of my beefs about typical community bands. The old timers or the egotists would always want to play the solos. Share the playing experience! So what if someone else misses one more note than you would have. It's about the fun of playing. When the part is pp and the rest of the guys can't play quiet enough, I just stop playing and wait till the right time to blend back in. I'm still enjoying it.
Harry would sound and play even better if he didn't try so hard. Very much a type A personality. We havn't done lessons in a couple of years, but we are going to start it up again and get him from a solid high school tubist to a Liberal Arts College type tubist. Beyond that, I can't help him. He has gotten to the point he wants to play a solo with the band.
Okay, Harry was very motivated! Harry was also a Fire Chief. That meant if there were no fires, he played for hours a day. I suspect he also has a recording of every old march ever written. When he was tired of working on lesson material, he would play along with the marches. It's a 2 way street. He turned me on to Military Tattos and Retreats.
Long story but a great one that's still unfolding. I'm glad Harry is a friend and plays in the same band with me.

Here are some points.
1.) find a teacher that you will click with
2.) find and buy a used student tuba (6 mo's to a year you will know when it is time to upgrade
3.) be ready with some cash to jump at a better tuba when it comes along. It's called proximity. Someone will see you and tell you about a tuba they know for sale. He picked up a great King 4 valve for $600 that is worth over $2000
4.) ask to join a mediocre band in the area. You don't want one that has too many tubists or that plays really hard music to start.
5.) if you fess up to your lack of experience, the other musicians will only be too glad to bring you along on the journey of music. If you try to BS, you will turn others off.
Good luck!
Matt

Follow Ups: