Re: Beginning the Tuba in adulthood

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by mh on November 06, 1999 at 10:14:57:

In Reply to: Beginning the Tuba in adulthood posted by Michael on November 05, 1999 at 16:10:26:

Very interesting that you would ask about this. I too was a person who started playing as a child (8th grade). I realized i liked the instrument and was fortunate enough to have a band director my freshman year who was a tuba player so i took some lessons and continued on through highschool. I was decent, and made it to allstate my senior year. Then I quit playin, joined the military and didnt touch a tuba again until 15 years later
Any how, got lucky and joined a community bamd that desperately needed a tuba player and was loaned a miraphone with a recording bell. Since that time i have played with lot of other groups, and four years ago was asked to take a position in a new local symphony orchestra! I am constantly amazed that someone is willing to pay me to have a great time! And I am very humbled to be given an opportunity like I have been given! I hope I can play till the day i die! Start up and dont be afraid of some of the snobs who will laugh at you because you cant knock off the RVW tuba concerto with no mistakes! I have studied under a couple of guys now, Hank Feldman, and a local Army tuba player, and they helped me take my playing to a new level, although I am the first to admit I have a long way to go! Ill gladly take the journey!!!! Hang in there, find a horn and teacher and GO FOR IT!!!! You wont regret it! Music is the breath of life, I am in love!
Just my two cents, and sorry guys for the longwindedness?

Follow Ups: