Restarting from an earliper post...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bryan on November 08, 1999 at 19:39:03:

Someone earlier had posted that they were having sticky vavles on their Hirsbrunner HB-21. Sean Chisham responded and suggested that maybe they had gook in their horn and he should give it a bath and use a snake, etc. Even though I'm not currently having any valve problems on my HB-21, I was inspired and decided that maybe it was time for a good cleaning anyway. I don't think I had done it for a couple of years (I know...nice way to treat a $13K investment.) I spent the better part of two hours cleaning my horn including bath in mild detergent, snaking all the reachable orifices, removing green gook from the pistons, etc. I even went "all out" and polished the exterior with Hagerty's spray polish! Anyway, I just have to say that when I was all done, I blew my first notes into it and I swear I thought it was a different horn! It was unbelievable how much more free-blowing it was - and no, dear reader, I didn't find a dead mouse or anything in the bottom of the tub - just some small particles of...whatever they are. It gave me renewed confidence that this was a great player/horn match for me.

So, moral of the story:

Go clean your friggin' horn. You will be amazed at the difference. It may just be the extra spark of inspiration you need to practice that excerpt one more time...

Bryan

Follow Ups: