Re: Performance Major and Marching Band?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bill on November 12, 1999 at 15:03:34:

In Reply to: Performance Major and Marching Band? posted by Jeff Baker on November 12, 1999 at 14:23:20:

I'm studying tuba at James Madison University, and I've been in the marching band here for the past two years. I agree that it's not the best thing that I could be doing for my playing, and I tend to sound better second semester when I'm not marching than I do first semester when I am, but I don't know how much difference it would really make if I stopped marching. I've heard from some people here that, after playing too hard in marching band, they find that they'll have a double-buzz on some notes for a day or so when they go back to their CC horn, although I've never experienced that. I think what it comes down to is just being smart about how you play. Just because it's marching band doesn't mean YOU should suddenly stop playing musically, nor does it mean you should play so hard that your lips bleed. Play musically all the time, and don't damage your lips. If you have a concert to play on a given night, lay off from playing a little, or better yet, entirely, during marching practice for a day or so leading up to that concert. I really love marching band, I've been doing it since 7th grade, and I plan to continue. If it's what you love to do, then do it, just be smart about it. My experience has been that a sousaphone by itself can't hurt you, it's just the way a lot of people insist on playing the second they pick up a sousaphone that can.

That has been what I've found anyway, I hope it helps.
-Bill

Follow Ups: