Re: Sonora Tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark E. Chachich on November 12, 1999 at 18:51:42:

In Reply to: Sonora Tuba posted by Keith C. on November 11, 1999 at 13:25:34:

I remember Sonora tubas from the 1970's and I thought that they were OK (not great, not bad), but I only tried two of them. The ones that I tried were very easy to play and predictable in response and intonation. I do not remember the extreme loud dynamics as being all that great when I played them. Remember, the tuba has to work for you in the groups that you belong.

This type of tuba would (in my opinion) be good for the type of playing that you mentioned. If it is a good tuba that you like, I think that the price is resonable. If you get the urge to buy a different type of tuba in the future, this would be a good backup tuba, small ensemble tuba and hazardous duty horn (parades, bars, etc...).

The only things that I look for in a used tuba are how does it play and cost. For example, I bought a Meinl Weston 32 that looked fairly bad (it still looks beat up and now has a sousaphone thumb ring, tape and wire on it). I bought this tuba simply because, for me, it made a beautiful sound and had good response. It is my small group tuba and backup, and I like this tuba. As far as cost, is the tuba worth the money to you.

Remember to factor any needed repairs into what you will end up spending (it may not need any repairs). I hope that a brass instrument repairman like Joe S. responds to give you some sound, professional advise on things to look for with a used tuba.

best of luck and welcome back to the tuba!
Mark E. Chachich
t570466(AT)vm.sc.edu

P.S., I also remember when the Beatles came to town, they should have had a tuba player.

Follow Ups: