Re: Performance Major and Marching Band?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Justin Hartmann on November 14, 1999 at 00:14:42:

In Reply to: Performance Major and Marching Band? posted by Jeff Baker on November 12, 1999 at 14:23:20:

Hi,
I don't know if I should do this, but I am going to stick out my neck on this one. I am a Music Education Major at Truman State University in Missouri. We don't have the best marching band, but the time I spend in marching band is time that I love. Today was our last football game, and now I will no longer go to practice, and not see all my freinds that I have known so well for a year. Every marching ensemble I have been in I feel a sense of friendship. The practices that I have learned in a marching ensemble help me be a better player. I learned proper breath control, how to make music, and numberous other things. Now granted, this was not all marching band. I marched with a drum corps and that is where I learned most of those things, but marching is so much fun for me. If you like it, go for it. I believe that you know what is good playing technique and not do anything but that. When marching band comes to you playing with a sound that is not a sound you would be proud of in a concert hall, then you are going about it wrong. That is where the difference between the serious tuba players and the kids who just like to play really loud lies. I believe marching band has helped me, if not only playing, but the corps challenges you physically and mentally and you grow from responding from these challenges. Hope that helps. Do what you like, you can only do it for so long.

Justin

Follow Ups: