Re: Re: Performance Major and Marching Band?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Band mom on November 16, 1999 at 12:25:32:

In Reply to: Re: Performance Major and Marching Band? posted by Joe S. on November 16, 1999 at 03:00:50:

Just my 2 cents here. Obviously feelings run pretty strong on this topic. I'm not a musician, but my son plays tuba in the marching, symphonic, pit and brass bands at his high school. I can only speak about him, and for my son the last three years marching have helped changed him from a shy, hesitant boy into an outgoing, confident, young man. Marching has taught him discipline, teamwork, and preserverence. He has also had to learn to be graceful in defeat, since only 1 band can win each competition. Granted, after marching season is over he has to work extra hard on the all-state solo and other music but from what I've seen it's worth the effort.

For the student who posted the original question, you need to do what's best for you. You have only a little time left to be able to march. Will you regret it if you leave?

Quickly to address the football game thing. Probably 20-30% of the people in attendance at our football games are band parents, siblings, and band alumni. If the band left, lots of revenue from the gate, snacks, etc. would leave as well. As for the team, if they don't appreciate the effort, oh well, it's just another opportunity to practice for competition.

Proud mom of a band "nerd"

Follow Ups: