Re: Kalison Pro 2000

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on November 24, 1999 at 22:32:02:

In Reply to: Kalison Pro 2000 posted by Phil on November 24, 1999 at 21:55:48:

One of the schools I teach at just bought a 2000 last year. Cosmetically, it is a very nice horn to look at. The construction seems to be solid but I can't say for sure until I see how it holds up over time. The horn doesn't play as well as it looks, in my opinion. I played on it a few times and this particular tuba has some intonation problems that are hard to work around. Normally that wouldn't bother me since the horn I play on primarily has its fair share of intonation quirks. But the sound I could get on the 2000 wasn't at all what I would expect from a tuba of this size. I found the projection lacking and the sound had a noticable lack of core. My general impression was that, for that kind of money, there are much better choices. As with any tuba purchase, you should try the horn and see if it works for you. This particular tuba was bought by the band director of the school specifically for an exceptional student of mine that graduated last spring. He had tried several CC tubas over the course of a year and had suggested to the band director that this one was his favorite. When he played on it, he sounded pretty good I thought. I also thought that over time he fell out of love with the tuba, both sound wise and intonation wise, but that was just my impression. Happy hunting!

Follow Ups: