Re: Starting a quintet

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by sam on November 26, 1999 at 23:27:12:

In Reply to: Starting a quintet posted by Lonny on November 26, 1999 at 21:27:03:

As stated in the previous two responses: do as many gigs as possible! Do some volunteer playing but also try to do some weddings and church gigs. The quintet I play in we rehearse once a week anywhere from two to three hours. When we know of a gig in advance we will boost the rehearsal time to twice a week keeping one session strictly to the music we will perform and the other rehearsal to learn new music or just review what we already know. I did a recent church performance in which my quintet helped in aiding the church in paying for some of its renevations. Lo and behold the news seeped out that we were doing this for the church and we had two local papers there and a news crew. I being the manager of the group recieved many many phone calls in the following weeks in which people were offering gigs to us. So, perform often and perform what makes you look good. You don't have to perform Vivaldi's Four Seasons to impress an audience. Just think of who your crowd is and perform for them!

hope this helps
sam

Follow Ups: