Re: yamaha 321

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick M on December 02, 1999 at 08:37:38:

In Reply to: yamaha 321 posted by Paul on November 30, 1999 at 23:39:56:

Reading this post has been rather interesting but I think it brings out an important point regarding tuba players and equipment issues. While I enjoy reading all the posts on equipment (especially discussing the 'personalities' of different horns)what matters is how you play.

This is especially true at the high school level. IMHO the judges at these auditions know that most of these students do not own their instruments and are often playing on school provided horns so they are going to focus on technique and how good a student can make any horn sound. Regional competitions are there to encourage students to improve and progress musically regardless of their background. Also IMHO - in some cases the judges will expect more out of those high school students who come in with a pedigree of university level instructors playing professional grade horns and not quite as much out of the students who don't have those opportunities. It's been many years since I've been doing the all-region/all-state circuit but there were many occasions where the first chair players are tooting on old Yamaha's, Kings, and "tank" Bessons and the guys on the Miraphones, Cervany's and Rudys are sitting 3rd, 4th, and 5th chair.

Your friend will do fine if she plays her Yamaha the best that she can. If she does well a couple of years, she may want to drop her own $$$ on a better horn.

Follow Ups: