old Eb souzy

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mo on November 04, 2000 at 18:00:31:

In 1961 I spent my summertime job's entire pay to buy a sousaphone to use for school band and a Dixie band. I still use it today. It's not a great horn at all but it still does the job. I've been considering stepping up but find it hard to justify spending a lot of money on something that I get a gig for once or twice a year!! (Yeah, not much demand around here.) I bought a Hawkes EEb with 4 valves a few years ago and thought it would be a good replacement, but the large valves and lack of good intonation made it awkward. So back to old Souzy! Last year I briefly considered a Yamaha YEB632S, but gave my head a shake - it's $7000 Cdn (plus 14% tax) here!! NOT!!
So my question is: Can any of you out there in tuba land recommend a good Eb/EEb tuba or sousaphone, new or used, that won't set me back a lot of dough? I am looking a horn with a good sound that plays with ease and in tune. Size or colour are not important.
(By the way, old Souzy is a Richmond! Dennis Miller once told me (37 yrs ago) that all it was good for was rolling down a mountain side to see how badly bashed up it would be at the bottom!!)

Follow Ups: