Re: LOW REGISTER ADVICE

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on November 06, 2000 at 09:31:14:

In Reply to: LOW REGISTER ADVICE posted by Anonymous on November 05, 2000 at 22:17:09:

I also learned the pedal range using the "bottom lip trick" and it certainly affords a really loud sound but almost no flexibility when slurring out of that range. With practice, you can learn to shift your embouchure smoothly out of this range but I've never been able to do this quickly.

Ultimately, what you want to focus on is using the same embouchure in the pedal range as you do in all the other ranges. This will give you the best chance of having some flexibility and a consistency of sound from range to range. When you first start playing in the low range with the same embouchure you use in the middle range, it will sound pretty bad to you. Very edgy, not round, and fairly weak. The only comfort I can offer is that if you force yourself to use this consistent embouchure all the time in the pedal range, it will get better over time. How quickly depends on how hard you work at it. Initially, I would just play scales that start in the middle range and go into the pedal range and then back up. When you're comfortable with that, start playing something more demanding. I currently use the Snedecor Low Etudes for Tuba to work on my low range and they are really great. Another poster suggested using a metronome and I think this is a good idea. From a conceptual standpoint, the goal is to make playing in that register just like playing in any other register, i.e. no big deal. The reason I like the Snedecor is because it incorporates pedal range notes into the etudes in a very logical and musical fashion. It really forces you to approach them in a very normal way. For me, that was the key because it is so easy to see those notes and try to get them by doing something different or special. For me, the trick was to keep everything the same and go from there. The Rochut etudes down two octaves are a great choice too. Just focus on making music in that range and you can't go wrong.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: