Re: Alexander vienna tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Answers on November 09, 2000 at 15:22:58:

In Reply to: Alexander vienna tuba posted by Ossie on November 09, 2000 at 07:17:02:

Ossie,

You asked questions, here are some answers:

1. To my knowledge, all Alexander tubas, Vienese or otherwise were/are rotary valve tubas.
2. The Vienna tubas were in F.
3. Yes and no. As I understand it, the fingering patterns are the same as the french tubas (first valve = whole step ect.) but the Vienna tubas were pitched in F, French tuba in C and with piston valves.
4. Again, yes and no. First and second valves are the same. After that I'm lost.
5. I think the Alexander Viennese F is/was no different in terms of quality than the standard F tubas from Alexander. They have a reputation of haveing a wonderful sound but with some quirky intonation and response characteristics.
6. Yes, Alexander still exists and apparently they are making tubas again. I suppose one could special order a Vinese style horn. If you are patient and have enough money get anything you want in a tuba.

I only played on a Vienese style F tuba on one occasion. It was a six valve Gronitz and it was a very fine instrument. Response and intonation were very good and had a wonderful sound. I noodled around on it for only 30 minutes so I never really figured out the fingering patterns.

Follow Ups: