Re: Re: Re: To swich or not to switch.....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Erik on November 12, 2000 at 23:36:23:

In Reply to: Re: Re: To swich or not to switch..... posted by RC on November 12, 2000 at 23:23:49:

That really is an excellent question, and as I have not actually tried many horns of either variety, it is difficult for me to give an informed opinion (a trip to the brasswind in the near future would help me solve that). I agree completely that one should only be concerned with the end product, not the means. It is often said here (in one form or another) that Jacobs or Deck or Porkony etc could make a great sound on a [insert some form of hollow tubing here]. But I think having looked through a number of catalogs, websites, and talking with people, that it is obvious that different horns sound different when played by different people. Because of that, the horn that you choose (model, not key) does affect how you sound. And because the number and variety of CC tubas out there seems to outnumber BBb's, it seems to me that you would have a better chance finding the horn that gives you the sound you want from a CC horn, simply because of the choices. That said, I see no reason not to go BBb if you find a horn that gives you the sound you want. These are just some ramblings that I have pieced together from advice from teachers, salespeople, directors and the like, and I could easily be persuaded otherwise.

And I really wish I were practicing now instead of writing a paper, but Gabrieli (you know the one) does make is more bareable.

Follow Ups: