Lessons for a Mature Student.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Keith C. on November 14, 2000 at 09:55:34:

Well, a year has passed since I returned to playing the tuba, after a 30 year lay off. I bit the bullet and bought my own own ( 4 valve BBb rotary) horn, and I have found myself in two community groups - a band and a small orchestra.

Having fooled myself any all those around me into thinking that I can actually the tuba, I think its about time I took a lesson or two. By way of background, I started playing tuba way back in grade 5 and continued through high school. When I graduated high school, the tuba was left behind and forgotten.I have never taken a music lesson, tuba or otherwise, so of course, I do not have any basic music theory or piano expertise. I would like to focus on basic tone and technique. I do not have any aspirations of being a pro but there are a few more "polished" community groups that I might like to audition for.

So here's my question to the teachers and instructors on this BBS:
What has been your experience with mature students? As an adult student what should I be looking for in a teacher? What would a teacher be expecting from a mature student? Can I work with a teacher on a casual basis, catching a lesson as time permits?

All comments appreciated.

Follow Ups: