Re: Questions on fixing dents

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bryan on November 14, 2000 at 16:57:26:

In Reply to: Questions on fixing dents posted by Avogadro on November 14, 2000 at 16:33:56:

Well Matt and Joe are the real experts here, but in general, most dents are purely cosmetic and shouldn't be much concern unless they are in specific areas. Places you really don't want to see dents are the leadpipe, tuning slides, valve casings (duh) etc. Obviously I haven't seen your horn, but "thousands" of dollars to fix dents seems unlikely even if some of it has to be taken apart. (This is assuming it didn't fall off the top of a building or something) If you can't reach the dent with dent balls or mandrels, there is still the possibility of having them pulled. This is where they actually solder on a puller to the dent and pull it out. It does cause laquer damage, but it can be covered fairly well with spray laquer and blended in. I've never paid more than $75-$100 to have a bell rolled out, although yours may be worse than any I've had.

In any case, you should take your horn to a reputable repairman in your area and see what it would cost to just do the dents that are either critical or bother you the most.

Bryan

Follow Ups: