Re: Marine Band vs. College

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on November 18, 2000 at 02:39:31:

In Reply to: Marine Band vs. College posted by Matt on November 17, 2000 at 23:40:17:

Possibly 99.9% of everyone else will tell you that I am a sour old goat and a kook, but I strongly suggest that you take the job. As one who has been through the university experience, taught tuba two different times in my life at the university level, and who used to absolutely depend on my ability to play the tuba to pay for house, car, utilities, food, and doctor bills, I would encourage you to get in the Marines. You might actually learn something besides "how to become a good Democrat" in the Marines, and (I think I heard) they are currently paying $65,000 bucks (???) towards education. This might put you through a couple of years at genuine conservatory of music, rather than just a university "course of study" (often 1/4 music courses, 1/4 interesting courses, 1/4 Democrat courses, and 1/4 consuming borderline lethal amounts of alcohol).

You sound like you know what you want. I read "proffessional [you DO need a couple of spelling lessons, maybe] musician" up there, and not "band director". Take the Marine job, become a man AND a proFessional musician, practice your tail off, and take their money to get halfway through a conservatory degree later. Far too many universities harbor the Peter Pans of the world.

Follow Ups: