Re: Re: Marine Band vs. College

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michael Russo on November 18, 2000 at 10:57:54:

In Reply to: Re: Marine Band vs. College posted by Mark K on November 18, 2000 at 10:29:48:

Hi Mark!

One of my friends went through the same sort of thing you did. His experiance wasn't as bad as you describe, but there is no doubt in my mind that you're description is very accurate of what could happen. However, my friend that went through all this had one very important thing to say to me about this. He said he wasn't happy, but he was getting paid. Not much, but he was making some money. I on the other hand, am very in debt because of school.

I think what most of us that have recomended the gig over school have missed is, has Matt looked into going to school for free? All the people that I knew in school that were unhappy were also getting farther and farther in debt, so that made things that much worse. My friends that are in the military (one of whom is in a Marine Field Band) may or may not be happy, but they can afford to change directions as soon as their 3 years or so are up. (Of course that's assuming that they are saving rather than spending...not something most 18 year olds do, but I think it's possible to learn to do that.)

Mark, you bring the reality that this question needed into play. Like I said in my first post, if Matt knows what life in the military is going to be like, and he doesn't mind that, take the gig. I'm glad you brought up the basic training issue, I just assume that eveyone knows that only the top band doesn't go to basic. Also, not many people know about the Music School part. Thanks for all the first hand info. Now it's up to Matt to sort eveything out.

Take care!

mike russo

PS Matt, I would encourage you to e-mail some of the people that have made posts and ask more questions. Find out more about Mark's experiance. That more than anything will help you feel like you've made the right choice when the time comes. Also....and I don't think anyone will disagree with this....DON'T LISTEN TO ANYTHING A LOCAL RECRUITER TELLS YOU!!!!!

Follow Ups: