Re: Re: Marine Band vs. College

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck on November 18, 2000 at 13:30:30:

In Reply to: Re: Marine Band vs. College posted by Michael Russo on November 18, 2000 at 07:24:16:

As a former Viet-Nam era member of "Pershing's Own" - The United States Army Band, in Washington, D.C.,I echo Mr. Russo's comments. Though it depends upon the individual, I believe there are many personal, educational, financial, and musical benefits to be gained from one's membership in any military band. Entering the military as a rather naive and immature you man, basic training brought about a cathartic metamorphisis in my life, the process of which I hated at the time, but would not now trade for anything. Of course, in my case, I was unspeakably fortunate to be able to fulfill my military obligation somewhere other than the rice paddies of Southeast Asia.
BTW,FYI, when I entered the military, in 1968, the only musical organization in the military, at any level, for which basic was not required, was the United States Marine Band - "The President's Own", in Washington, D.C. The only assurance an enlistee had or has of receiving their promised musical assignment in a military band comes with the "Special Enlistment Orders" which are given to successful auditionees for the top band in each branch of the military. The enlistee must pass an FBI background check to be granted a "White House Access" security clearance, and will remain a member of their band as long as he or she does not violate that security clearance.
Best Wishes to All...

Chuck "Thanking His Lucky Stars" England

Follow Ups: