Re: Good income?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dan C on November 20, 2000 at 20:42:01:

In Reply to: Good income? posted by scott on November 19, 2000 at 18:37:42:

There are always a lot of options open to an enterprising young musician.

If you honestly plan to be a successful musician, you'll have to work very hard to get there. I've discovered though, that if you turn a fraction of that energy towards getting good at another skill, you can come out of college with some good prospect in the job field, and also a good idea what you want as a performer.

Most people go into performance with the intention of magically being transformed during the college process. They expect to have a job my the time they leave, or sooner. In reality, it may take 20 years or more to finally land a gig, and that's a long time to scrape by. That may even be long enough to get burned out, and that's a shame.

I propose getting a minor in something else you may be intersted in, and therby doubling your job prospects. You can always continue to play if it's REALLY in your blood, and then when that audition comes along, you'll not only be able to play, but you'll be able to afford the plane tickets to get there.

I personally graduated a half a year ago and I knock down better than 55 for what I once considered a hobby. I also live 2 blocks from a tremendous music school and never forget what I REALLY want out of life. In a few years I'll go back for grad work, and I'll keep hitting the woodshed. Maybe my "hobby" and "career" will change places again.

That's my 2 cents

Dan

Follow Ups: