Re: Attachment to tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bill on November 21, 2000 at 15:23:28:

In Reply to: Attachment to tubas posted by SD on November 21, 2000 at 14:31:44:

When George Black, a fine New York player who was a collegue of Bill Bell and played the New York City Symphony, several prominent bands and ALL the Richard Rogers musicals on Broadway, died, he left me his York bell front BBb, 4 front valve tuba. George's wife could not part with the horn immediately so I left it with her but three years later that horn had to move and Betty was ready to let it go. Some friends went to Bellingham, Washington, where George had retired and his final home, and crated it and sent it to Atlanta, to me. When I went to George's house to "play duets" that horn was always waiting for me, bottom bow on the floor, bell on a chair seat. This was George's form of giving "lessons" to an adult learner. I never did anything wrong but "sometimes they do it this way" indicated I wasn't right yet. George played from 1920 until his last concert in August, 1992. He died in May, 1992, at the age of 96. He always played this York in outdoor concerts because it projected better outside.

He was a very special man and this was a very special horn to me. Harvey Phillips told me that he believes this horn was sold to George by Bill Rose. It has an especially sweet tone. It occupies a stand along a wall in my studio and particularily lucky students get to play it, if they ask.

I wouldn't sell it for anything. When I die, it goes to the Harvey Phillips Foundation for disposal. Whether they sell it or get it in to the hands of a needy young player remains to be seen.

Follow Ups: