Re: Re: Re: the former T.U.B.A.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on November 02, 2001 at 10:13:44:

In Reply to: Re: Re: the former T.U.B.A. posted by jeff on November 01, 2001 at 19:55:56:

Those were the stated reasons. But I don't think those were the real reasons motivating the change. I think the real reasons were that college professors, who must publish and do other things to show their promotion and tenure committees that they are doing good in the academic world, needed journal and organizational references that didn't sound as non-serious as TUBA. They felt like a professional society with a serious-sounding name would get taken more seriously on their tenure applications. With many friends in academia, I can understand the need. But it seems from the outside that the change was rammed down the throats of the membership.

Had they been more open about the real reasons, they might have found a way to address the problem without creating an organization whose initials are shared by many others, whose domain names are already used up, and that doesn't violate the sense of fun that has always been an important element in the organization.

Rick "not thinking much of the politics of academia" Denney

Follow Ups: