High School Tuba Purchasing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom Mason on November 02, 2001 at 10:21:11:

I was amazed to read the thread concerning the weril tubas posted by Joe a few spaces down. In this thread, some of the contributers seem to take some shots at the decision making abilities of band directors in selecting the tubas used in their programs.

It seems to me that the course of thinking is that tubas are the only instruments that the band director needs to buy for the program, and that we have all the money we need to buy said tubas.

I for one would love to be able to buy the dream tubas for my sections. If I had a 5 figure budget per year, maybe I would. As I don't have the funds to be that extravagent, I have to watch what I spend. If I can get two tubas for the price of one, and the two horns are not pieces of junk, I will.

I will also not spend money on the most expensive tuba in the universe with thoughts of high school players getting their hands on them and throwing them in cases, banging them around, and mistreating them.

If a student wishes to pay for a horn, then I will help them get the best for their money. CC or BBb.

Don't assume you know the budget wars just because you have the ability to buy what you want. I will take werils, jupiter 4 valves, kings, conns, miraphones, yamahas, and any other worthwile tuba as I see fit. I will also be able to buy tympani, chimes, music, stands, chairs, and the other equipment that a band has to have.

Tom Mason

Follow Ups: