Re: Back Pain and Tuba Playing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by olituba on November 03, 2001 at 03:20:22:

In Reply to: Back Pain and Tuba Playing posted by Jeremy on November 02, 2001 at 00:43:36:

Hi there!

Pain due to playing your instrument is an old problem, that has bothered loads of good musicians, many even had to quit their job! That probably was the reason for a school that I studied at to start a compulsory subject called Physioprophylaxis. That subject ( actually it was compulsory there for the eintire time of ones stay at that school) encompassed things like musician- specific muscle-training, strching techniques aou can even practice during a performance on stage or in the pit. Only those who know will notice! Yoga, Breathing- therapy, awareness of ones own posture, some Feldenkrais, some Alexander amd many other things. I´ve left that school 5 years ago, still try to keep at it several times a week and while noticing people of my age developping those pains, I´m still pain-free.
so, here comes the advice: do some sports 2-3 times a week(get sweating!) learn good and healthy streching, look into your own posture and that of yourself when holding you instrument. Shold cover most of the problems you presently encounter

Oli

Follow Ups: