Re: Lip buzz ??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by olituba on November 03, 2001 at 12:41:15:

In Reply to: Lip buzz ?? posted by tubabass on November 03, 2001 at 10:15:56:

don´t worry, Mark, no flack from me!

now, my teacher in Berlin did "nacked" lip buzzing with me and all his students a real lot. Starting from simple chord and melodic patterns and in the end aiming at being able to buzz everything with or without MP musically, well in tune and properly articulated. Personally I´ve reduced that eversince I left Berlin. (Nicht bös sein, Dietrich!) But lately with a greatly improved breathing i`m gettin back to it, though not "nacked", but at least on the Mp, and especially on the instrument.
The effect for me allways is the same: different (and mostly better) sound, dramatically improving control over all aspects of playing: Intonation, phrasing, articulation, vibrato, registercontrol, stability in the "dead" register on F-tubas, etcetc.
If you decide to go for it, allways go for well centered sound, good pitch- control and never forget that the tuba is a WIND-instrument, not a "percussion-valves" thing, not a plant pot or anything of the like. Remember to produce WIND INSIDE. Otherwise you will develop funny noises with your lips in addition to the pitch you buzz. In that case it doesn´t help at all to do more and more of it. I´ve been through that, I know what I`m talking about.

FWIW

Oli

Follow Ups: