Re: Re: Music Programs and Tuba Schools in Texas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by anon for obvious reasons on November 04, 2001 at 22:39:25:

In Reply to: Re: Music Programs and Tuba Schools in Texas posted by UNT! on November 02, 2001 at 18:56:52:

Well, UNT is not the same "type" of school as the others mentioned here. This is how I have categorized UNT: UNT, is one of the top 3 music school in the nation, however, it does not offer the "campus undergraduate experience" that a school like SMU or Rice or Southwestern in Georgetown would offer. IF a student is very directed and willing to forsake playing in a top ensemble for a few years and is prepared for that type of environment (which I personally feel is less condisive to music than some I have seen) then go for it. Now, if one lives in Texas, then Rice of SMU or Southwestern CANNOT beat the financial side of UNT (especially with the new Texas Grant), so perhaps now, after the fact, I will say that that element redeems UNT and, I will say again that UNT is one of the top music school in that nation, just not exactly what I (as one person) would look for. (However, the UNT graduate program is a totally different story)

P.S. I was not trying to down anyone from UNT at all, these were just comments and observations form my campus visits etc... This post and 75 cnets will buy you a coke.

e.b.

Follow Ups: