Re: Tubas for sale-November edition.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on November 05, 2001 at 00:36:40:

In Reply to: Tubas for sale-November edition. posted by Billy M. on November 04, 2001 at 16:16:43:

My uncle is selling his Besson tuba, assuming that we are successful in another enterprise that I will tell you about later. This was his first horn coming back from about 40 years of layoff, and now that he has some chops he's moving in a Kingly direction, if you know what I mean.

The price is $1450, but that's negotiable. If we don't get a response within a week or so here, then you'll see it on that auction site.

Here's the description:

1922 Besson Three Valve Compensating BBb Tuba

This tuba dates from the early 20's, with a serial number in the 120,000's. The condition is extraordinary considering the age, with no significant dents in the outer branches and only one slight bell wrinkle. The silver plating is about 90% overall. Besson marked this instrument "Class A Prototype Enharmonic" denoting the innovating use of compensation on the three valves. "Enharmonic" usually means valves that shorten when pressed, but these add tubing in the conventional way. The air path goes through the three valves and back again, and the innovative part is that it provides a separate tuning slide for each valve combination, and can therefore be precisely tuned. Okay, as precisely as any tuba like this can be tuned. This unusual approach involves a few twists and turns, which provides a good amount of resistance for the player who has no delusions of an orchestra career. It's a real prototype. Some of the tubing is solid copper, but most of it is brass.

The valves were replated and refitted within the last three months. A standard receiver has been installed in the original receiver, which allows the use of a large-shank mouthpiece. The instrument plays low pitch, and therefore plays in tune with any modern group.

This is not the instrument for a high-school kid who wants his own tuba, nor is it a tool for professional performance. But it may be just right for someone who not only wants a good playing tuba, but who also wants a tuba that provides a living example of Besson's path to leadership in designing compensating valve systems.

The instrument is about 40" high, with about a 15" bell. I didn't have my tape measure when I saw him on Saturday, so I'm guessing at the dimensions a bit.

Rick "whose uncle is moving up to a King" Denney

Follow Ups: