Re: Re: School-related logistical problem

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sean Chisham on November 06, 2001 at 21:07:30:

In Reply to: Re: School-related logistical problem posted by Karl on November 06, 2001 at 20:05:47:

I know you could do that before September 11, but the airlines, NTSB, and FAA may have changed that now. In the latest AFM newsletter they mentioned that they are lobbying Congress to protect this ability for musicians who don't want to chance a million dollar cello or violin being checked under the airplane and destroyed by baggage handlers throwing it all over the place.

As far as travelling with a tuba on an airline, all tuba cases exceed the linear inches limit for normal baggage and some flight cases even exceed the weight limit for normal checked baggage. Not all ticket counters charge the oversize fee, but when they do it varies from $50-$100 each way. I have only been asked to pay it a couple of times. Curbside checkin used to be a good way around this, but there is no longer curbside checkin.

Walt Johnson cases hold up pretty well and they are guarenteed for life against anything. I have had two cases replaced free of charge due to case damage, but have never had the horn inside hurt. Johnson simply bills the airline for you and takes care of everything. Just make sure to report the damage to the airline as soon as you pick up the horn from the baggage claim area. They should give you something showing proof that it was reported.

The horn inside is up to you to insure. If you have a personal articles policy on the horn then it is covered for just about everything, including theft, accidental damage, etc. Only things not covered are things like nuclear war, intentional damage, normal wear and tear, and such.

You'll most likely have to fly with the horn someday anyway, so might as well start getting used to it and buy the case. It is only scary the first couple of times before you realize that things will be ok.

sean

Follow Ups: