Allow me to vent

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dan Mordhorst on November 07, 2001 at 16:46:19:

Hello all,

As you may already know, I am the director and Tubist in Perfect Fifth Brass Quintet. We're a new group, and lately we've really started to click with each other and we're sound pretty good. We just had our fist performance about 2 weeks ago and it went really, really well.

Finding time to rehearse is a problem though. We're all either High School Seniors or Juniors and our time is very limited. We do, although, find atleast one 3-4 hour rehearsal time a week. We can get a lot accomplished in this time.

Two nights ago we had a rehearsal at my house and all's going well until an hour in. My Lead trumpet player says he's not allowed to play more than an hour. He recently started studying with ?-?-?-? (*not gonna reveal name for obvisous reasons*) in NYC. He's a jazz trumpet player. He tells my lead trumpet that he is not allowed to play for more than an hour becasue he will damage his lips. This same teacher also told him that he should drop out of the school concert band to save his lips. Does this not sound like a bunch of bull to you guys (and gals)? How is he supposed to practice and play if he's not allowed to play for more than an hour? I play atleast 3-4 hours a day. And it's only helping my lips. Am I missing something? The only reason that this really bothers me, is because I can't get any decent practice time in with Perfect Fifth.

I just don't get it, and it's really pissing me off.

Thanks for letting me vent!
Sincerly,
Dan Mordhorst

Follow Ups: