Re: Euph mouthpiece HELP NEEDED

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Fritz Friesen on November 08, 2001 at 10:20:09:

In Reply to: Euph mouthpiece HELP NEEDED posted by Bob on November 07, 2001 at 06:50:07:

Hi Bob, I've been playing at euphonium for about 35 years, but have only started to get serious about it during the last five years. I bought a new intermediate level horn, a Besson international 765, and I'm in love with it. I've experimented with the Shilke 51D, Brian Bowman BB1, and the Wick SM series 3, 3.5, and 4.

I opted for the SM series and have found that all three sizes (I have not tried the 5 or the 2) come in handy for me at different times. The 3.5 is the same rim size as the 3 and the same depth as the 4, so it provides a more brilliant sound than the 3, yet rounder than the 4.

I liked the Shilke 51D (the BB1 is almost identical, yet heavier), but the SM series seems to be more suited to my Besson. Also the 51D seems to want to choke off between low B-flat and low F.

How do you like your Sovereign? I'd like to try that one and the prestige. I'm really sold on the Besson sound and playability.

Hope this helps, Fritz

Follow Ups: