Re: Re: Brass Quintet Dealings

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom Mason on November 09, 2001 at 11:47:50:

In Reply to: Re: Brass Quintet Dealings posted by defunct on November 08, 2001 at 13:52:19:

I echo the comments about one person in charge of the group. In my current small groups, we have one person who books and takes care of all the business. This holds true no matter which one of us brings in the potential client. I turn over all my contacts to the booker, and he takes care of the business. The musical leadership responsibility is taken care of by the person who provided the gig. If I get the gig, I take charge of the play list and leadership in the gig. If one of the others provides the gig, then they take the roll. If one feels unconfortable with leading, then they turn it over to the lead trumpet player.

This works for us, because we work toward the greater good of the group having a job.

Some of the groups I perform with in the Memphis area have one person who is in charge of all aspects of a group. Again, we work well because we have direction and purpose. It also helps that we are also enjoying the opportunity to play.

If a person isn't pulling their weight, they need to go. A less experienced player who is eager to practice and learn is a far better asset to the group than a non-cooperative genius.

Tom

Follow Ups: