Re: Brass Quintet Dealings

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Fritz Friesen on November 10, 2001 at 12:46:48:

In Reply to: Brass Quintet Dealings posted by Jason Arnold on November 08, 2001 at 12:53:23:

I've enjoyed reading the posts on this subject. I've had the pleasure to be a member of my Brass Quintet for the last 3 years. I also played Christmas music with this group about five years before that. This group, more than any others that I have played with, inspires me to be a better total musician.

The neat thing about a small ensemble like this is that you have to improve because there is no where to hide. Every part is very important and really exposed. Not really being a team member in anything else that I've done in my life, I really feel a part of something here. To me, for the group to survive, it takes a real feeling of ownership on everyone's part.

I didn't really know anyone in the group very well when I first joined. This probably is a good thing because good friends don't necessarily make good partners in anything. On any given day I probably get frustrated with every person in this group, and I'm sure they feel the same about me. The common glue is music. When we actually play it, practice it, get all the nuances, we feel a closeness that I don't think you can find anywhere else. We are musicians, and I'm not going to qualify that in any way, because I really don't think it matters. We are all better for the fact that the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

Our group membership has changed alot over the years, in fact we only have one of the original members with us, but I really don't think the group has changed that much. Make sure that you are playing with other musicians, and I think that everything else will take care of itself.

Hello all, I hope I get to meet all of you sometime. You seem to have those things of which I speak, and I love to associate myself with musicians.

Fritz

Follow Ups: