Re: can-o-worms

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on November 12, 2001 at 13:14:03:

In Reply to: can-o-worms posted by js on November 11, 2001 at 23:30:52:

I agree with the general hypothesis, but I am not sure that the difference is just BATs vs smaller horns. My Conn/Cerveny 786 has more of the characteristics that you attribute to a smaller horn, which makes sense because it is a 4/4. However, my Distin BBb, which is smaller than the "Cerveny" plays similarly to how you describe a BAT. They both have a 17.75" bell diameter, but the total height of the Distin bell is much shorter and the bottom bow seems a bit larger in diameter. Maybe the difference isn't just in total size, but in the ratio of bell height to bell flair? Of course there are other differences, the "Cerveny" is in rose brass and the Distin is silver plated; the Distin was built in 1896 (does aging brass have an impact?) and the Cerveny in 1999, the bore on the Cerveny is 0.795" and the Distin is 0.689", the Cerveny has 4 rotary valves and the Distin has 3 pistons (recently replated and fit). If anything, intonation issues were more obvious on my Conn 21J than on the Distin. I think that your general observation is directionally correct, but that size is not the only variable that impacts the differences.

Follow Ups: