Re: can-o-worms

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt Walters on November 13, 2001 at 09:14:30:

In Reply to: can-o-worms posted by js on November 11, 2001 at 23:30:52:

Hey Joe,
Yes. I have noticed a similar thing, myself. I listen for the split tone in tubas. The horns with a sound that combines a rich fundamental and an upper harmonics carrier seem to be what people are calling a great sound. When that upper sound is to different in pitch from the lower fundamental, people have a hard time tuning to it. Last night in my community band, we ran into that very problem. No, not me this time! The oboe was playing a Bb and everyone was tuning sharp to it. It was like there was an extra pitch that was 20 cents sharp. The sax player said it best. "I give up. Am I sharp or flat? Another time the oboe played the Bb and the two pitches his two reeds were creating were closer in pitch.
As slight imperfections in a person can make them more attractive, so to can slight imperfections in the sound of a horn give it life. (Think of a church bell.) Too far off and you get an ugly looking person or ugly sounding tuba.
Poor manufacturers. They have to incorporate an little imperfection but not too much. Well, back to work for me. Matt

Follow Ups: