Bb helicon for sale

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by stevo on November 16, 2001 at 20:20:46:

This horn began its life as a Bb H.N. White "king" raincatcher sousaphone. Before I bought it, someone had a Marzan Tuba bell grafted on. They used the existing collars, making this a detachable bell.
The horn plays well, having what I call a hybrid sound. Brighter than a conical tuba, more tuba like than a standard sousa. The body is about 1911, the valves original, worn, but play well when oiled. Some dents in the body, none in the tubing. The first valve slide moves freely, and can be pulled to improve intonation. I usally leave it in one place. The photos may not show it, but I do have a neck and bits that work well. As you see, lots of silver is gone, the marzan bell is satin silver and in good shape. Polished silver on the inside.
The horn is a player for sure, not a looker. There is plenty of good brass is someone wanted so overhaul it for cosmetics. But it definitely plays, I love the sound, but it must leave my stable.
The horn is currently in storage in the New York City area (Ridgefield NJ, 10m from George Washington Bridge). First consideration to anyone in the area interested. I am next available November 30th, Dec 1. Let me know if you are in the area, and we can meet. After, I will consider shipping it to serious buyers.
$1300....reasonable cash offers definitely considered.

p.s. if no image shows, I'll email it

Follow Ups: