Re: Testing a Tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on November 20, 2001 at 09:10:40:

In Reply to: Testing a Tuba posted by CC in my sights on November 20, 2001 at 06:52:42:

Here are some tips that I have found helpful when trying out a tuba (thanks to Matt Walters for some of this):

1. Play a half note scale detache, starting from the bottom of your range up to the top. Listen and feel for how easily each note speaks on first attack. Notice of any notes that have an apparent hesitation or delay before sounding. The more open horn should have very few to none of these.

2. Tune the main slide to bring the fundamental pitch in tune. Tune the other slides as you normally would to bring most valve combinations in tune. Play each note in a chromatic scale, then look at the tuner after playing each. Don't play while looking at the tuner because you will automatically adjust. Check for any notes that are more than 20 cents out of tune on first attack. How many of these are there and can any of thse notes be easily brought back in tune with a simple slide pull?

3. Have someone else with you to listen to the sound of the horn. Ideally you should record each horn and listen to the playback. How it sounds to you while playing is often different from how someone else hears it. Listen for the horn with the sound that matches what you are looking for.

4. As you are holding the horn, take note of your hands and body position. Are you bent over or reaching for the mouthpiece? Are your hands in a position that would be comfortable to play in for a long time? A tuba needs to feel right for you to be able to play it effectively.

Since you say that you have already pretty much selected a model some of this may be moot, but I have found this helpful.

Follow Ups: