Re: Apprenticeship vs Repair school

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Daryl Hickman on November 21, 2001 at 11:04:51:

In Reply to: Apprenticeship vs Repair school posted by Rob Suttie on November 21, 2001 at 01:07:04:

Here's my take...

At a repair a school you will have the opportunity to practice your skills on a virtually unlimited supply of instruments (we also have tons of parts donated by Yamaha) without the stress of destroying a customer's horn. You will have an instructor whose sole job is to assist you with your repairs - not a technician who everytime you disturb him is losing money (commission). You will also have the opportunity to work with other students from a variety of backgrounds. Students in my program also have the benefit of receiving additional techniques from guest instructors as well as the potential for concurrent apprenticeship experience in local shops. You will have to learn how to play test instruments if you enter our program. The main disadvantage is you will have to pay for these experiences (however, less than $2500 isn't bad for a year's training).

That said, you most likely will NOT be ready for self-employment after a year's training. You will need to "apprentice" in a shop where you can continue to develop and build upon the skills learned at the college. A quality apprenticeship can range from 3-5 years. I have had students who have successfully entered into small business upon completion of the program. However, most of them are local and call or stop-in for advice on a regular basis. My preference for graduates is that they work in a multi-person shop after completing the program.

There are plenty of jobs available. Currently, I have a listing of 64 jobs and only 15 students in the program to fill them. Not to mention that are countless jobs not listed and most shops are looking for technicians. There are also jobs available with manufacturers.

Anyone with questions can feel free to email me or call the number listed on the website.

Musically, Daryl

Follow Ups: