Re: Broughton III tempo

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Scott on November 21, 2001 at 11:55:37:

In Reply to: Broughton III tempo posted by 10-21-983 on November 21, 2001 at 09:39:36:

From what I understand, the original tempos that Broughton wrote were very different from the tempos Tommy Johnson played when he and Broughton premiered the work (Broughton played the piano for the Sonata premiere and he conducted the wind ensemble for the concerto premiere). The first movement was originally printed at something around 120 instead of 138. The second movement is generally performed at 72 instead of the 60 that is printed. Tommy said that he may have gotten a little carried away when he played the work and let the adrenalin produced at the moment push the tempo. But Broughton liked the tempos Tommy played and chose to include them in the printed version. I like the tempos for the first and third movements to be a little under printed (about 135 and 155) so that I can keep the playful feel. Too many times you will hear this piece played way too fast for the player (tuba and piano included!) and the feel is more hurried and uneasy rather than relaxed and playful. Listen to a recording of the wind ensemble arrangement. I think this will give you a good idea of the approach and feel that Broughton was looking for (especially the third movement).

Follow Ups: