Re: What is it About the Tuba?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike Ross on November 21, 2001 at 13:54:13:

In Reply to: What is it About the Tuba? posted by From Parts Unknown on November 21, 2001 at 07:24:26:

I respect the comments about the Tuba player always being the butt of the jokes, but in my case that has never really been the case.

What got me into tuba playing was the coaching from our band instructor that "it's the MOST important instrument in the band", and the respect that this gave me among my peers.

Later, it was getting back into tuba playing and having trombone and trumpet players (yes, even trumpet players) thank me for coming to practice because the band sounded so much better with at least one "bass" (we slip into British terms every so often here).

The capper is marching in the local Santa Claus parades with a white plastic Sousaphone and visibly seeing a lot of the kids (who really get into the band music) pointing at me and going "Wow, look at that" to their parents. And, yes, I have answered questions from kids and parents about what is that and what is it like to play one of those in the muster area before parades, tree lighting sing-alongs, and such events - never seen that happen to a clarinet player.

Last but not least is that enveloping feel thing that Joe S mentioned below. I really believe that tuba is the only instrument where you can instantly feel the effect that you are making on the music. Even without a lot of solos, the tuba adds a fullness to a music selection that IMHO, a bassoon just can't match - of course, it helps to be playing for a conductor who really gets a kick out of hearing the brickwork of the hall creak after the BAh, Bah, BOOM ending to the 1812. That's feeling the effects of the music (ha, ha).

All this goes without mentioning the fellowship and lack of competitiveness among low brass players. Player to player understanding and support, instead of bashing is quite unusual in music.

My only regret has been that the tenor sax and trumpet players always seem to get the girls....

Mike "How often does the first trombone yell 'Yay, the Piccolo player's here'" Ross

Follow Ups: