Re: Please Indulge Me (***LONG***)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Herrick on November 21, 2001 at 17:32:19:

In Reply to: Please Indulge Me (***LONG***) posted by Dave on November 21, 2001 at 15:24:11:

Dave,

It is not at all uncommon for somebody to hit the wall as you have at your point in life. The sad thing is that you seem so bitter.

Rick Denney's reply (not showing on the main screen for some reason) offers some good perspectives.

Yes, there are all types playing tuba in particular and music in general, and some are analogous to the ball player types you mention. Many of the points you raise have a degree of validity as well. That's life. I have been through stages where I would have resembled all those ball players.

My old German grandmother had a little saying which applies to the changes we go through, Too soon we get old, too late we get smart. In other words, as we travel the road from cradle to grave we experience life; it is only at or near the end that we put all our experiences into perspective and learn the lessons they had to offer.

If you are no longer enjoying playing as a career it is time to make a change. Don't just shut the past out though, and please don't feel the need to disparage or discourage all others because you are feeling bitter.

I have done many different things to make a living over the years and really hated doing some of them at the time, but they are all part of my life experience and looking back I can see some good lessons in all of them. Hopefully, one day when you sit back and ponder the meaning of your life you will recognise the good moments and feel inspired to point somebody else down the right track.

Looking for the positive and pursuing dreams can lead to creativity and building a better world.

Frustration, disappointments, and dwelling on life's dissapointments can lead to frustration and bitterness and lead to the sort of horrors we experienced on September 11.

Choose the path of life and light. Look for the positive and try to make the world just a little bit better.

Good luck with your new career.

Follow Ups: