Re: Please Indulge Me (***LONG***)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by js on November 21, 2001 at 17:35:59:

In Reply to: Please Indulge Me (***LONG***) posted by Dave on November 21, 2001 at 15:24:11:

I suspect that you aren't too different from that fat ol' grouch - js, except that your "burn" lasted a lot longer than mine.

Two different times, I've taught tuba students at large universities and quit after one year. I'm too impatient to wait until someone is just about ready to graduate to "get it" and start practicing / learning, and I'm too selfish to tolerate 15% - 25% serious students and the rest bozos.

From the occasions that I've had to play with fine symphony orchestras, I know that I would quit such a job after a couple of years. Again, I "need" more than 30 bars of glory now and then to keep me awake and engaged. Plus, the negative vibes that float around before, during, and after union musicians' rehearsals are toxic. (no offense intended to those who thrive in such careers)

A couple of decades ago, I had my "dream" job. I performed with a fantastic jazz band that toured all over the place throughout the year, but not too much to keep me from running my own business. However, being in close quarters with a handful of guys - two who tended to have negative "union-like" attitudes and a couple of others who had annoying habits (and I'm quite certain that I got on others' nerves just as much if not much more) drove me away from that after three or so years.

ANY job gets "OLD". The only reason that I've kept my store for over two decades is because there's no one who can fire me and no one to whom I can offer a letter of resignation.

;^)

You might wish to concentrate on that beautiful child, and when/if someone asks you if you would like to do something quite different or just plain relax (hunting, fishing, a one-day trip to a new place, whatever - There are thousands of unbelievable spots within a short day's drive of your home.) take 'em up on it. If you've time, you might pursue some semi-serious interests that have been on the "back burner" for quite some time.

I don't know where in your "30's" you are: On one hand, there are just a few years left before you're eligible to retire from the military with a fairly good pension and on the other hand, you have plenty of time (before retirement) to develop some other interests and skills that could easily become your "second" (post military) life.

Joe "the big 'life expert' [yeah, right] (???????)" S.

Follow Ups: