TRU-VU Transparent Mouthpieces

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ellis Wean on November 22, 2001 at 14:41:31:

Hi,
Whenever I get messages asking about TRU-VUs, I suspect it's because someone has posted here on Tubenet. Here's what you need to know. A few years ago, I had a web site through the local university. As better internet services and providers became available, it didn't make sense to keep that site. The old url, unfortunately, is still available as a link from many other sites (and says 'locked down'). I recently tried to auction some TRU-VUs and videos (of good players, up close, using them - and with slow motion shots, also). There were many hits to the site, but not much interest. I had put up a temporary home-based server for downloading samples, but I've since taken it down.

For those who don't know, I invented TRU-VUs and hold patents on them. That would explain my "association" with them. I presently don't have any tuba or French horn versions of these (they were the most popular), but enough serious requests would motivate me to make some. They're not cheap (tuba, that is) because each is hand made (by me), so we're talking $175 each. Sorry, but that's the reality. (If you've ever made a mouthpiece yourself, you understand the time AND quality committment required.) On the other hand, it may turn out to be the best teacher you've ever had.

There is an info page available at:
http://www.hotwixcandles.com/ellis/tvtm.html
The link to watching mpeg samples isn't active right now. I'm making a CD version of this video and it should be ready in a few weeks. I'll be on with information about this when it's ready.

Thanks to those who've emailed me personally asking. I'll reply shortly.

Sincerely yours,
Ellis Wean
Vancouver Symphony Orchestra
formerly Buffalo Philharmonic, Montreal Symphony Orch.

P.S. I also have a really fine tuba - silver, 6/4, CC, 5-valve, half-York, half-Hirsbrunner - for sale. I can provide pictures, sound samples (online) and a testimonial from Floyd Cooley, its previous owner. It was made as one of the prototypes for the Nirschl line. If you'd seriously be interested, we can arrange for me to ship it to you.

Follow Ups: