Re: Re: Re: Re: Harry Potter's Tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Micky Wrobleski on November 22, 2001 at 17:53:28:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Harry Potter's Tuba posted by Steve Dedman on November 22, 2001 at 03:09:12:

WARNING!!!!!! Opinion to follow!!!!!!!

Having seen Harry Patter and the Sorcerer's Stone,and being a collctorf William's scores, as well a those of Goldsmith, EARLY Elfman, Herrmann, Korngold, et al, I wold hae to say that the reson that the score would be getting lukewarm reviews has nothing to do with Willim's writing. It has everything to do, I believe with Christopher Columbus. As mny f us may or may not know, when a fim i being used, the head-honcho usually has in his head, what he feels the soundtrack should shound like. In this case, it is PAINFULLY clear that Mr. Columbus had "Hook" in his mind. While that soundtrack is one of hi most creative scores, IMHO, the "Hook 2" (a.k.a. Harry Potter) left a little to be desired. For those of us who stuck around to hear the music that played through all of the credits, we were treated to some EXCELLENT music. Music that, sadly, was not heard in the film itself.

As far as the tubists go....

We are truly blessed to have Tommy Johnson as a musician who plays the tuba. Mr. Johnson has set the bar for all of us whether we are aware of it or not. Impeccable time, pristine intonation, brilliant clarity, and superb musicianship can be heard in every note.
We are also lucky to have Jim Self among our ranks. Jim's versatility and creativity are evident in not only his compositions and solo performances, but also in his masterful performances that we run out to buy.

Some scores to check out:
Brougton-Silverado(Some gorgeous solos and, some tracks with two tubas)
Elfman-Beetlejuice(Couple of tubas, great writing for tuba)
The Nightmare Before Christmas(again, some good tuba{two-tuba} witing)
Back to School with Rodney Dangerfield(Rodney Dangerfield, Sam Kinison, and some FUN tuba licks!)
Goldsmith-Star Trek:The Motion Picture(two tubas, huge brass sounds...BREATHTAKING!!)
Williams- Jaws, Jaws 2, E.T., Close ncounters of the Third Kind(collectors edition){check out "Wild Signls"}
Tommy Johnson
Hook, Close Encounters of the Third Kind (Jim Self)
Home Alone 2 (unless I'm mitaken, I believ that there are two different players on this score. There are two significant solos Tracks 2 and 9), it sounds like Tr. 9 is Tommy and Tr. 2 is Jim. Of course, I my be completely wrong.

Of course, there are many MANY more scores, but these are pretty good ones to start with.

Best to all-

Micky Wrobleski

Follow Ups: