Re: Re: Bohn & Meinl Sousaphone - Any Info?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Kinsel on November 23, 2001 at 08:49:29:

In Reply to: Re: Bohn & Meinl Sousaphone - Any Info? posted by Klaus on November 22, 2001 at 21:22:53:

First of all, I'm glad to see someone else was intrigued by this horn just from the pictures and description on Ebay. Thank-you for taking an interest in helping me figure out what I have. I still don't know why, but I fell in love with it the first time I saw the pictures.

Anyway, I do have some more information, but I'm not sure it will be helpful because I don't have all the information. (I hope posting HTML tags works. If not, you'll see a repost without the tags right after this one!)

Are otyh branches of the main tuning slide of the same bore? As far as I can tell, yes. And about how it reacts in the dynamic extremes: Dulness in pp? No dullness. It does get mellow, but not stuffy or dull. Brassiness, ringing, afterglow in ff? That's what's cool about this horn. It does not get brassy or brash at high volume. It gets very full, bright, and LOUD. In fact, I can make my VMI2301 sound a lot brassier than this sousaphone. Does it feel stuffy? Never. It plays with a very open feel. How is the intonation? Still working on that. Some notes (particularly 2nd valve notes) seem tough to get in tune. But, as I have only had the horn for three days, I have not totally figured out how to play it in tune. Open intonation (Bb) is right on. How does it react to lipping up or down? Very responsive. I can lip any note into tune easily.

The bell diameter is 19 inches. I don't know what the bore is. It's been a long time since I've played any sousaphone (like 22 years), but as far as I can tell the circle opening is the same as a full-size sousaphone. I can fit in it with no problem, and I'm a lot bigger than I was 22 years ago. Also, the case is a standard Conn sousaphone case. The only modification to the case is to account for the smaller bell. The circle appears to be the same size as any other sousaphone's as the body is a tight fit in the case.

I put away my 24AW and put a Bach 22 on it, and was pleasantly surprised to find that it was even easier to play. The more I fool around with this horn, but more I like it. This will probably be my horn for TubaChristmas (my first, BTW) in three weeks.

I want to get the one missing brace replaced. It's the last brace right under the bell. Because the circle is tightly wrapped, I don't think there is a lot of deflection in the brass because of the bell's weight, but I'd feel better with a brace there. I also want to get the bell retention bolt replaced. (The whole threaded assembly has come off and is missing.)

So, after 21 years away from tuba playing, in the span of eight months I have put two horns in my stable. I'm back and I'm staying! This is just way too much fun.

Follow Ups: