Re: Does anyone but me...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim Tyler on November 23, 2001 at 17:14:24:

In Reply to: Does anyone but me... posted by js on November 23, 2001 at 11:19:23:

Dear Joe, I agree compensating shouldn't equal professional but... I have a Willson 2900 that is as nice and flexible as any euphonium I have played. One group I play with had parts for baritone only. The parts were very high and moved like blue blazes. Not only are the Willson valves long because of the compensating feature, they are large in diameter because of the large bore of the instrument. Not only is the diameter large, the stroke is long, also because of the large bore. I bought an old U S Army Conn from the early fifties. The valves are smaller and the throw is shorter (smaller bore). The appearance is similar to the Yamaha 321 and the King 2280. In one band the director plays a 321. It doesn't sound as good as the Conn. In another band the director owns an old beat up 2280. It doesn't sound as good as the Yamaha, but that might be wear. The Conn CAN be played in tune, but it's more work than the Willson. The Willson can be played high and fast but it's more work than the Conn. Neither sound as good for me as when someone who knows what they are doing plays them. Jim

Follow Ups: