Re: how many? (long)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by lisa on November 23, 2001 at 19:22:50:

In Reply to: how many? (long) posted by longtime lurker on November 23, 2001 at 18:50:24:

this is something i have thought a lot about lately, while choosing the next step in my career path. i am graduating with a Master's in tuba performance this June, and I don't regret that at all. I could've done many things with my abilities and aptitudes other than pursuing a tuba career, but the tuba is the love of my life. (that's why as i speak my front room is filled with horns and music, and i spent the holiday alone with my tubas and dog rather than on vacation with my family.)
the way I see it is this: people pursue a tuba career because they love it, at least i am guessing this is the case in many scenarios. i thank God that those who teach me chose to follow their dreams and pursue this career, because now i have the ability and affirmation that i want to do the same.
as far as my own career, i will work to be the best darn tuba player i can possibly be. i would like to do this because i love the tuba. if i never get the "big gig", so be it, but i will always, always have my love for tuba. in fact, i have aspirations of pursuing something beyond "professional orchestra" playing, and that is primarily to teach, in some capacity, and to spread the joy and love of the tuba. i will do this in any way possible.
as long as one has the desire to be a tubist, i don't think he or she should be weeded out. we are not going to deter those who love biology from pursuing a biology major or a career in medicine, we are not going to discourage those who love helping others from being social workers or psychologists; so why should we discourage those who love music from being musicians?
i would be happy being a "community band" tubist the rest of my life if that is all i could be. i can always be a soloist to myself. i will never give up tuba, even if i end up being a lawyer! those who want to pursue the career should be given the chance. the principle of "survival of the fittest" will hold true, may the best candidate win! we will all end up where we belong ultimately.
just my opinions... there will never be enough tuba players!

Follow Ups: