Re: Favorite recital piece??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doc on November 25, 2001 at 23:55:04:

In Reply to: Favorite recital piece?? posted by Bryan on November 21, 2001 at 16:11:32:

There are theme and variation solos that most people recognize or will at least understand and enjoy the format. Blue Bells of Scotland, Carnival of Venice, etc. I played Beelzebub as a fun piece at a recital many years ago, and it was clearly the audience favorite. You can always play familiar songs that will connect with the non-tuba audience. If we're talking about entertaining the audience, then familiar songs from the last 100 years, pop tunes, big band tunes, folk tunes, etc. should connect. Barbershop Quartet arrangements for tuba 4tet are always a big hit (treble clef down one 8va). If you know any composition/arr. majors (if you don't arrange yourself), ask them to help you arrange something. A theme and variations on a patriotic song would deifinitely connect with any audience right now. Compensate them of course. Open your mind. I've played many gigs with accordion. I played a song with accordion (both parts by ear) called The Faithful Bassist (Find the Ray Dorschner & the Rainbow Valley Dutchmen 40th Anniversary Album; Jim Dorschner really works his Conn 20J; they're from Menasha, WI). I never did it on a recital, but I certainly would, if given the chance. It may sound hokey, but it would be a neat twist, and the audience would like it as much as you would. Gotta find an accordionist, though. Not a problem in Texas. Lots of options if you think out of the box. Good luck.
Doc

Follow Ups: