Re: Re: Gross injustices

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on November 26, 2001 at 10:27:21:

In Reply to: Re: Gross injustices posted by Greg Crider on November 25, 2001 at 20:03:07:

Three comments:
o You are right about the one-hour classes, and, having majored first in music then in computer science, I found there to be just too much to keep up with. The hours were long; still, the difficulty was at least as much the number of items on the to-do list as the amount of time they took. I had TEN courses my first semester in college! I couldn't remember what class I did and did not have homework any given night.

o If there is a degree where a 'serious student' can get by on 30-40 hours per week, I don't know what it was. It took me about 80-100 hours per week, depending upon which semester, to get my BCG (Bachelors in Computer Geek).

o In the final analysis, it is really good that college is really difficult. I hated my scheduling nightmares as a music student, and the brain-bending academics as a computer student, and the very long hours of both; but now, as I look back, I know the experience made me stronger and more confident. It also makes my four (plus) years mean something. If it had been a gentle, easy time, what value would either the experience OR the diploma have?

Joe Baker, who thinks college was hard but real life is harder.

==================================
A bit more grist for the mill:
The way practice rooms were meted out when I was at NTSU (now University of North Texas) was a joke. You got a room for a set hour every day. If you had a scheduling conflict, or - duh - want to practice more than an hour, you were out of luck. We all managed somehow (in my case, my dorm had practice rooms in the basement, but that was a different joke), but this was a real problem area.

Follow Ups: